How well do you communicate your value to your ideal client? You need to create a powerful marketing message that helps your target audience know exactly how you can help them and why they should work with you and not your competition.
Your clients are being bombarded with constant noise from your competition about how they will help them eliminate a pain or solve a problem. You need to be heard with a captivating message that speaks directly to the needs of your ideal client, strengthening your connection to them.
Before you start any inbound marketing activities, be sure you have a solid message that speaks to your target audience.
Narrow your market
Before you can create powerful messages, you need to determine exactly who you want to work with. It is much easier to strengthen your message when you are laser focused on your target audience.
If you aren’t clear about the specific audience you truly want to work with, figure it out before you develop your message, build your website or write your first email newsletter.
Generic messages that try to reach a broad audience never works. Although many small business owners want to reach as many customers as possible, it isn’t feasible to do that and be clear about what you can do for your customers.
Focusing on a narrow market enables you to build a loyal customer base that will pay more money for your products and services because it is specifically targeted at them.
Understand their challenges
Now that you understand who you want to work with, identify why your solution is right for them. You need to differentiate your business from your competition.
Answer the following questions:
- Do you know exactly what your audience is struggling with?
- How does your solution help them eliminate the challenge or improve their situation?
- What makes your solution different than the competition?
Focus on the benefits to your target. Be clear on how your product or service benefits them and why their lives will be better once they work with you.
Identify how you help
A powerful marketing message communicates information about what your business can do for your ideal client. When crafted with care, your message can influence them to take some action and connect with your business.
Your marketing message:
- Provides a description of your business that catches your ideal client’s attention
- Tells them how you can help solve their problem for fulfill a need
- Conveys what value you bring to the relationship
- Communicates the benefit they will experience by working with you
- Motivates them to take some action
Getting all this into a message sounds like a challenging exercise. But considering that you need to put this message on everything you use for lead generation, it needs to be powerful and consistent so you never confuse your ideal target audience.
Focus on solutions
Just remember that your ideal clients do not care what you do or how you do it. They only care about what you can do for them and the benefits they will get by investing their money with you. They are looking for solutions such as:
- Solve a problem they are currently experiencing
- Improve a process that is not working for them
- Increase sales or cut costs
- Find new clients or open new markets
- Eliminate tasks they don’t want or don’t know how to do
Most problems your customer may have usually involves saving money, making more money, saving time, stop wasting time or helping them feel better about themselves. It’s not about the nifty new feature you offer or how you do something. What can you do for me that will work better than what your competition offers?
A powerful marketing message attracts the right clients
Creating an effective marketing message is difficult. Most businesses want to talk about everything they do and why. But a clear and powerful marketing message needs to be simple and focused directly on what’s in it for them.
- Convey how you solve their problem.
- Explain what makes you different
- Focus on educating them about the benefits of working with you
- Create an image in their minds of life after they engage with you.
Once you get their attention, they will listen to what you have to say. The more you understand the needs of your market, the better you can speak to them in a compelling and believable fashion.
Your message is crucial for all of your marketing activities. Delivering a consistent message across all of your channels will help you capture the attention of those you want to do business with.
Need help with a marketing plan? Sign up for my email list and receive your FREE Masterful Marketing® Create Your Small Business Marketing Plan eBook!