About Debra Murphy, Small Business Marketing Coach
About Debra Murphy, Small Business Marketing Coach
Marketing Coach, Speaker, Author and Entrepreneur
I am a marketing coach and mentor passionate about helping small business owners take control of a critical business asset – their online digital footprint - and use it to increase visibility and generate inbound leads. Through expert guidance and support, you achieve success by learning, incorporating and executing marketing activities that take your business from mediocre to marvelous.
Although I have many years of experience across all traditional marketing channels, I specialize in inbound marketing, a combination of search, social media and content marketing, to enable you to create a larger digital footprint that increases your online visibility and generates more quality inbound leads.
The freedom you gain by having your own business and being an entrepreneur is worth all the time, money and effort it takes to start and succeed as a small business owner. As a marketing coach, I empower small business owners, including independent professionals and entrepreneurs, to take control of their marketing to control costs and get better results.
In 2002, I started Vista Consulting, a successful marketing agency where I primarily worked with high technology companies and service-based businesses to help them market their products and services more effectively. But my passion was unleashed in 2007 when I started Masterful Marketing®, a marketing coaching, mentoring and advisory business targeted at helping small business owners take back control of their marketing.
The force behind Masterful Marketing was observing the difficulty many small business owners had with marketing. They wanted my help but were unable to justify the cost of a consultant. Many times I had been approached by small business owners who would ask me if I could help them, but I knew that my consulting business model did not cater to their needs or their budget. In addition, small business owners need a marketing system to help them stay focused and on track which at the time, I didn't have available to them. So through my desire to help business owners build their businesses around their passions came Masterful Marketing®.
Launching Masterful Marketing has fulfilled my dream of helping many small businesses navigate the complex online marketing world. Nothing is more liberating than having control of your livelihood, income and destiny in life. I want to share what I've learned with others so they can be fulfilled and enjoy a lifestyle that works for them.
- First Beacon Business Advisory Group is a management consulting firm comprised of a multidisciplinary and experienced group of business owners who use their experience to provide in-depth and comprehensive advisory services to other business owners. Our mission is to serve owners of small to medium sized businesses with advice and guidance on how to overcome the obstacles and challenges facing small businesses, explore opportunities for growth and achieve their business goals.
- I am co-owner of Kwon's Martial Arts Center, a family friendly martial arts center that focuses on a person’s total well-being. Our programs for children, teens and adults are designed to promote discipline, self-control and respect, instill confidence and strengthen the body, mind and spirit.
Looking for an engaging speaker or panel member on social media and online marketing? If you need someone passionate about marketing to educate and inspire your audience, consider me for your next event. I customize each presentation to the particular audience, but the following is my flagship presentation to small business owners.
- Getting Found in a Crowded Market: Creating a Successful Inbound Marketing Plan - Inbound Marketing helps your business generate leads, increase visibility, develop an reputation and promote awareness of your brand. Did you know that B2B buyers are often 60% of the way into their buying process before even contacting the vendor and B2C buyers search throughout the buying cycle? This means that if you don't have a highly visible web presence, you will lose out on many opportunities. Learn how to establish your online visibility and what tools are available to help you build your web presence.
Benefits of working with me
- I’m a closet geek and marketing expert. My background in both technology and marketing allows me to understand the important elements in a quality online presence that helps your business attract the right prospect and convert them into leads. I understand how user experience affects conversions and can help you design marketing campaigns that attract and convert.
- I continue to learn and experiment in this ever changing new media world. What worked yesterday may not work tomorrow. I constantly follow the changes and will guide you on best practices that work today, not yesterday. I continue to educate myself which means you will benefit from the cutting-edge knowledge I obtain through my education.
- I remain completely objective when recommending solutions. Many marketing agencies form partnerships with technology companies and resell their solutions as an affiliate. When they sell the product to their clients, they make a commission. Although there is nothing wrong with that model, I have chosen to not participate in affiliate programs so that I remain completely objective about what I recommend for your business.This eliminates any potential conflict of interest on my part and ensures that your business gets the right tools for your unique needs.
- I have a knack of making things easy to understand. The complexity of online marketing, the technology challenges and the time it takes to implement can result in overwhelm and confusion. I help you stay unstuck and moving in the right direction.
- I walk the talk. I don’t just tell you what to do hoping it works. I’ve implemented most marketing campaigns for my own business, enabling me to help you implement successful campaigns and increase your chance of success.
In the News
Occasionally I get quoted in various publications. I'm always flattered when I'm called out of the blue because a writer finds my website. Here are a couple of the most recent articles in which I was quoted.
- The Marketing And Advertising Jobs With The Best Future - Forbes, March 13, 2013
- How to Create Social Media Buzz Before Opening Your Doors - Intuit Blog, February 27, 2013
- Don't overdo your online networking - Boston Herald, September 25, 2011
- "Create the Business Breakthrough You Want: Secrets and Strategies from the World's Greatest Mentors" featuring business giants Brian Tracy, Robert G. Allen, Bob Proctor and Mark Victor Hansen (Chicken Soup for The Soul) and endorsed by Dr. Stephen Covey and Ken Blanchard.
- "Creating a Simplified, Integrated Practice Marketing Plan" for "The Business of Healthcare" three volume set edited by Kenneth H. Cohn, M.D. and Douglas E. Hough, PH.D.
- Business Network International (BNI). I've been a member since 2002, been awarded notable networker and serve on the leadership team.
- Marlborough Regional Chamber of Commerce. I've been a member since 2002 and served on their Board of Directors until 2013.
- Marlborough Country Club. I'm been a member since 1981 and I have served on their Board of Directors from 2003 - 2015.
Besides loving what I do for a living, I also have several other passions that command some of my attention. Balancing it all is what makes life fun and rewarding.
- Golf. I play as much as I can when the weather gets warm. I belong to Marlborough Country Club and have won the club championship 5 times. I am also a member of the Women’s Golf Association of Massachusetts (WGAM).
- Fitness. I enjoy looking, feeling and acting younger than my years. Maintaining a fitness regimen helps me keep up with all the activities I get involved in. My usual workout includes a high impact kickboxing class, power walking in between classes and I walk the golf course when I play.
- Socializing. To counter all that healthy living, I regularly enjoy good friends, good wine and great food.
- U2, Bon Jovi & Coldplay music and concerts. I’ve discovered U2Start.com and have a huge collection of U2 concert recordings. In addition, I've added to the live recordings with a couple of Bon Jovi and Coldplay concerts.
- Technology. I call myself the closet geek. My background is in computer science and I love to play with gadgets. Developing WordPress web sites for my clients is a great way for me to lose track of time.
- Critters. I love all animals and currently have a cat family that keeps me company while I work from my home office.
- Kevin. Last but certainly not least, I have the best friendship with my husband of 20+ years. We understand each other and complement each others' strengths.